.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

hyphen-dash

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Welcome to Alternate Freaky Technocolor Dream Land. Population: Me.

I'll be the first to admit that I dream in extremely vidid technicolor.

And I'll be the first to admit that what happens in my dreams usually has very little to do with what's going on in real life. As a matter of fact, what happens in my dreams usually runs exactly counter to what's going on in real life.

I'll get to that later.

At any rate, I don't have "recurring dreams"... I have "sequels". *(I know you think I'm kidding, but I'm not.)* I don't get the same dream three times; I get the same dream, in three parts, over three different nights. The problem is, it could be weeks until I dream the second half.


One dream that I usually have, that I don't really talk about, is my "back-to-school" dream. I'm in school, and I'm heading to class on the first day of school. I always have this dream in July or August, and I know I've had them for the past two years.

It takes place at a specific staircase, in Nowheresville Memorial. It's the one right near Kathryn's locker (but for some, odd reason, I've never actualy bothered to talk to her). I have to get from the second floor to the third floor, because my homeroom is Spanish. (That detail is important, for some reason). I'm at the foot of the stairs.

This is where all three versions diverge.

In the version I had before the eleventh grade, the stairs were exactly the way they are now: They go straight, directly toward the floor in question. The problem is, on the left side of the stairs (I was going up the left, I don't know why), there was no staircase past the landing. It was a rectangular hole. And on the right side, was this guy I really disliked making lewd comments and rubbing himself laying at the top of the stairs.

I woke up before I got to Spanish.

In the version I had last summer, the stairs were the way they are in real life. Only there were holes in them. Not like dream before, but maybe about 18 inches around and twelve inches down. You had to avoid them, and there were quite alot of them.

Again, I woke up before I got to Spanish.


I had this dream again last night. This version was altogether freaky. Mostly because I started thinking about it. The stairs were entirely different. You walk up one way, to the landing, then turn at the landing, and walk up the other way to the next floor. That's what we had in elementary school. Okay, that wasn't the problem with the staircase. The actual problem was this: one flight of stairs should lead to the landing, and the other should lead to the floor above. Neither actually lead to the floor above.

From the second floor (this is where all of these dreams start), it looked like you could get to the third floor -- the "Foriegn Language Hallway", specifically. Okay. Fine. This guy (who I don't know too well) goes up, up to the landing, and then... comes down the other landing. "How did you...?" "...what?" --that kind of thing. We're all confused. He shrugs.

When we all look up, we see that the staircase is not actually connected to the third floor. There's a railing, all around; and the bars that go down from the railing were still there, only there was a whole in them, implying (at least to me) that you had to jump from the landing to make it the the third floor.

I don't remember my feet leaving the landing, but I do remember dangling from the edge. I specifically remember staring up, and realizing, for the first time, tha I was wearing fingerless gloves.

I climb up, and look down, and realize I am also wearing those black, baggy goth pants with the zippers and the hooks and all.

Fine. Whatever. Apparenly, I'm a goth in this dream.

So I wander over to Spanish. I look, and, yup, it's Spanish. (For the record, it looked nothing like any real-life Spanish class).

So I throw down my backpack. It was once green, and it now has this stained blue appearance. (I haven't actually used this backpack since the eigth grade. And it's still green.)

I decide I'm going to go to the bathroom before class starts. Rather than going to the teacher, and asking for a hall pass, to use the bathroom in the hall, I wander over to the bathroom in the classroom. I didn't get into it, because someone pushed me out of the way, but I got a good look at it. (We don't have bathrooms in class. It was like the bathrooms in first grade. First Grade. That's a stretch.)

Only, it wasn't exactly like the first grade bathrooms. There was a ladder shoved in the corner. I thought to myself, "A ladder? Why... Oh! I must lead up to the lighthouse!"

Yup. In this dream, Nowheresville Memorial has an additional two-story lighthouse on the roof.


But at least I finally got to Spanish, so I could see for myself.

</laukaisyn>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home