.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

hyphen-dash

Friday, December 02, 2005

There are some days that make me wonder why I'm a Social Science major.

"That is so cool! You type things, and it appears on the screen!"

Okay. Just so everyone understands where I'm coming from on this...

My English class has 17 people in it. The Public Affairs Scholars. We're special. It's English 100P, Argumentative Writing. Most of the other people on campus think we're psychotic. Like, one day, we're going to have a heated discussion in English, that's going to turn into an Argument, that's going to end with someone killing someone else.

We're scary.

So, for our final project for the semester, we have to work in groups, to build a website.

About something.
Ideally, the Website invites the student
  • to translate language concepts--specifically to reinforce what you say by the way you say it.
  • to consistently apply critical thinking about issues of validity, credibility and authority in reference to ALL information you are asked to review.
  • to synthesize information into a context which will allow you to effect change in the world.


Anyway, they dragged us to a computer lab in the Engineering building today, so that we could start on them. It was a nice change from having the entire day in the Public Policy building.

I seemed to be the only one to know where the Engineering building was, let alone where the room was in the building.


So then, we start playing on the computers.

We were supposed to be researching.

When our group got bored, I opened up NotePad, and said, "okay, so, what do we want it to look like?"
"I dunno."
"Okay, pick a color."
"How about blue?"
"Okay."

So I type in the basic <head> tags, and our friend, the <body> tag.

We start to play.

I save it, and open it in explorer.

I start to play some more. Save in NotePad, Refresh in Explorer.

And one of my group members blurts out, "That is so cool! You type things, and it appears on the screen!". I was really tempted to say something along the lines of, "Well, yeah, that's how keyboards work," but I didn't.

So now I have a gray-and-blue borderless table thing, and the only text on it reads "The Value of Summer Programs in Education".


</laukaisyn>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home